Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Say What?! Cauliflower Soup???

On one of my last posts I mentioned that cauliflower soup was on the menu.  It's yet another thing that I have discovered on pinterest.  I've never been real fan of cauliflower - I can get it down no problem, but it's not exactly something I have to have...  But, I figured the recipe seemed simple enough and looked to be more on the 'healthy' side, so why not give it a shot? 

The end result was something very unexpected!  I love love LOVE this soup!  I mean, it is seriously my favorite soup of all time, at the moment!  You can find the original recipe here.  I made some changes based on what I had on hand and the fact that I was too lazy to actually cook and add the bacon...  But even with the changes, it still came out 'oh-so-delish!'


Not much is needed for this recipe at all!  Just cauliflower, chicken broth, (and if you so choose) cheese and bacon!  First thing I did was steam my cauliflower in a countertop steamer Eric bought for me a couple Christmases ago.  You can always do it on the stove or even in the microwave if need be. 

The thing that really attracted me to this soup was the fact that they called it a "creamy" cauliflower soup.  I LOVE me some creamy soups!  The only downfall, however, is that most creamy soups call for cream (no, really?!) of some kind and that makes the calories go waaay up.  And they normally just don't taste the same when subbing milk instead.  When looking at the recipe, I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was no cream needed at all, just chicken broth! 

So after my cauliflower was steamed I simply put it all in a blender and added my broth.  Now, I didn't have chicken broth on hand, so I just put some water and then sprinkled in some boullion powder.  Mine was actually beef flavored, I believe.  Add as much or as little water as you want to get your desired consistency.  Mine looked kind of like liquidy mashed potatoes by the time I was done. 

Now you can stop here, by all means, if you want!  I enjoyed the soup exactly how it was at this point, but I could still taste a little bit of cauliflower and knew that this wouldn't fly with the hubby.  So this is when I decided to add some cheese.  The original recipe called for some gorgonzola cheese as a garnish, but all I had was mozzarella.  I actually threw my cheese in the blender with the soup and pulsed it a few times.  The taste after my mozzarella addition: out of this world!!  I couldn't believe how much better it tasted simply by adding a little bit of cheese (but then, we all know that cheese makes EVERYTHING taste better... haha). 

As I said earlier, I was too lazy too cook up the bacon, so just left it out.  However, I did NOT see the tip on the original recipe that said you can cook your bacon in the microwave - I may have actually tried it if I had seen it!  If the cheese made it taste as good as it did, I can only imagine what the addition of bacon would have done! 

Anyway, when I was serving up the soup, I added some more mozzarella to the bowls and let it melt on top.  Unless you like a big stringy, gloopy mess, I do not reccommend this.  It was much better when it was simply blended into the soup.  (But I'm sure other cheeses would be just fine sprinkled on top...) 

Eric (somehow) managed to get by with only taking one bite of the soup.  (It was his birthday, so I let it slide...)  He said it wasn't his favorite, but it wasn't bad either.  I'll take it - that guy is almost impossible to please when it comes to food!  haha  =) 

I tried to give Haylee some, but her "that's-something-healthy-for-me" radar must have been going off cause she absolutely refused to open her mouth to take a bite.  But I (being the big, bad, horrible mother that I am) forced some in anyway.  After she painstakingly swallowed that tiny drip of cauliflower soup, do you know what her response was?

"More, more, more.  Pleeeeeeaaaaase?!"

I'm dead serious!  After that, I couldn't spoon the stuff into her mouth fast enough!  Eric thought it was funny.  I was regretting having her try it in the first place, cause the little stinker was eating all my soup - and FAST...  The next day, Haylee and I had some leftover soup at lunchtime.  She loved it, yet again.  No lie - after every bite she would say, "mmmmm, yummy!" 

So go try some cauliflower soup...and soon!  You won't regret it!  At least I'm pretty sure you won't.  And if you do...Haylee will always eat your leftovers...  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment